Thursday, December 4, 2014

Are You Washing Your Hair Too Much?


Growing up, I thought that everyone washed their hair everyday because that's what my family did. As I got older, I found out that that's not necessarily the case. Washing my hair less is something that I struggled with for a long time and it took me years to get myself and my baby-fine hair trained to where it is now. That's right, training! I know what you must be thinking:
"My hair is super oily!"
"I just feel dirty!"
"But I work out!"
Well I have a solution for all of that and some excellent tricks to break you of your excessive washing ways.

Everyone should be washing their hair no more than two times a week. For some of you, that may sound absolutely ludicrous! But hey, we really don't need to be washing that often. Why you ask? Our natural oils are there for a reason, to hydrate and moisturizer our scalp and hair follicles. 

For my ladies with overly oily hair: 
Your hair is oily because you wash it. I know it sounds completely backwards, but I promise it makes sense. Every time you wash your hair, you are stripping it of its natural oils. Then your scalp thinks, "Hey! Where's all the oil? Oh well, I'll just make more!" Your body only makes what it thinks it needs. 

How To Get Started:
1. Start by skipping a day of washing. Once your scalp gets used to that, skip another. Remember, dry shampoo is your friend!
2. Discover new, fun things to do with your hair that help mask your potentially oily scalp.
Braids
Top knot
Sock bun
3. If it's really oily, put a hat on it!
4. Maybe you're a gym rat or you do hot yoga. Well, sweat doesn't equal dirty or oily, but you can always rinse your hair out and massage your scalp, like you are washing it without shampoo.
5. Get yourself on a schedule. Here's mine:
Monday- Wash and Air Dry
Tuesday- Curl It
Wednesday- Sock Bun
Thursday- Wash and Air Dry
Friday- Curl It
Saturday- Hat
Sunday- Sock Bun

Some Benefits to washing less:
- Hair and scalp aren't as dry!
- Use less shampoo and conditioner!
- Save yourself time getting ready in the morning!

Remember, it may take some time for your scalp to adjust and your oil production to slow down, but I promise you wont regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?